Some great information here if your looking to learn how to dry out crawl space areas. Perhaps you want to prevent black mold or any other mold and mildews from taking over.
Be sure to watch the videos below for some more excellent crawlspace tips on keeping everything nice and dry.
Any crawl space can be cleaned and kept dry, but the process varies immensely.
These variations can include:
- The Type of Foundation and Home Construction
- The Crawl Space Depth and Size
- The Soil Types and Conditions
- Past Ventilation and the Drainage or Moisture Control Techniques Used Previously in the Home
How To Dry Out Crawl Space – 7 Basic Steps
Here is what is needed to bring the home environment into comfort, security and compliance. The homeowners level of need or the order of steps taken varies on the factors listed above. Here is the process:
1. Down-Spout Extensions – Check grading for positive drainage away from your home and make sure all downspouts are extended properly and gutters kept clean.
2. Sump Pump and Pit – In crawl spaces with standing water, a properly installed sump pump is vital for water collection and removal. The pit must have several holes drilled in it to allow water infiltration as well as a good gravel back-fill around the liner.
3. Internal Perimeter Drainage System – The drainage system installation consists of hand trenching the interior perimeter, laying a 4″ perforated, corrugated flex tile in the trench, and back-filling the tile with a filtration aggregate. This prevents unwanted sediment from entering the drains and ensures lifetime operation.
4. Vapor Barrier – A durable 6mil poly liner placed on the crawl space floor surface to reduce some of the moisture. This step is necessary over a drained crawl space, but an encapsulation system is recommended.
5. Clean Space Encapsulation System – An encapsulation system completely isolates the earthen floor from the home structural envelope. The liner is a heavy 20-mil-thick material similar to a pool liner that totally prohibits moisture penetration. The CleanSpace liner is COMPLETELY SEALED over the floor and walls to fully isolate your home from the earth. Encapsulation totally seals off all outside ventilation and is the ultimate in vapor barrier protection, all the while reducing radon gas, ground odors, insect infiltration and thus helping to control mold spores and their propagation. Also, by sealing off outside ventilation, your home will become more energy efficient!!!
6. Crawl Space Conditioning – Conditioning can be achieved by the actual heating/cooling of the encapsulated area by the opening of ducted pipes into the crawlspace. Average duct leakage may be sufficient conditioning in some crawl spaces.
Dehumidification is necessary for removing remaining excess moisture from the air and making your home free of mold and mildew. Want to dry out crawl space? Be sure to check all of the options before buying a dehumidifier
Some will remove a few quarts of water a day while others can take out 90 quarts of water from the air daily. So determine the best size for your crawlspace scenario.
Keeping your crawl space clean and dry will be extremely helpful in preventing future mold exposure problems
Here is that great video showing how to lay down a vapor barrier, insulate and dry out crawl space.
It comes from HomeAdditionPlus (check them out on Youtube)
How To Dry Out Crawl Space For Mold Prevention Video Number 2: Installation and Crawl Space Vapor Barrier
More news and information from the blogosphere world and elsewhere…
Small And Efficient Dehumidifier Solves Mold Issue
“We were having some issues with mold in our closet. We got the CFM-40 because it seemed smaller & quieter than others & we’ve been very happy with it. It extracts an amazing amount of water, we haven’t figured out where it’s coming from but the container fills up every couple of days! It’s quiet and seems well made, and we have no mold now so we’re happy.”
Is It Best To Heat Your Crawl Space Or insulate it?
As a result, the humidity and cold crawl space mold and dust from the crawl space get sucked into your home, increasing your heating costs and risking your well being.
Proper Insulation Is Required For Crawl Spaces And Unheated Areas
However, many building professionals are now recognizing that an unvented crawl space, or closing crawlspace vents after the crawlspace has had time to dry out after construction, is the best option in homes using proper moisture control.
Crawl Space Mold Removal – Crawlspace Moisture And Its Damage
Crawl space ventilation is discussed. How to dry out crawl space areas for mold prevention…
Crawl Space Vapor Barrier: Figuring Out The Details
We’ve got a 1947 or thereabouts built on foundation and piers with a fairly low vented crawlspace. We also have some issues with mold on a wall, I’ve cracked the wall open and behind it is dry.
There Is Moisture, Mold And Damp Ground In The Crawlspace
It may sound like non-sense, after all, when you want to dry anything you just let it air out right? The problem is that things work differently in the crawl space. The air doesn’t move around as it would above grade.
Author: Larry Ralph
Larry Ralph Jr. is general manager of Americrawl South Inc., Indiana’s Leader in Crawl Space and Basement Waterproofing. For more info, visit http://www.americrawlsouth.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Larry_Ralph